Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It All Ends

I'm alerting you now, this is a major nerd/geek post. Major. You have been warned.

Deep breath...the final Harry Potter hits theaters in just over two weeks. To quote the tag line of the film: "It All Ends." And I'm kind of a mess about it.

I know that the final book came out four years ago. I know exactly how it ends. But I'm still so not ready for the actual end. Because even though the books ended, I still had the movies to look forward to, which always added to the overall wonderful-ness of the books. And you have to admit, the Harry Potter films have be incredible adaptations. Everything is always exactly as I pictured it while I read the books. Especially Snape...sigh. How awesome is Alan Rickman as Snape? Isn't he exactly how you imagined him to be?

The Harry Potter books have been a big deal to me ever since they came out. For the last three, I actually got my books at midnight on the release night and read them straight through, without stopping. When Sirius and Dumbledore died in the fifth and sixth, respectively, I actually threw the book across the room (both times!) because I was so upset. Then I cried at the end of the seventh. I remember finishing it and actually not knowing what do with myself because it was over. 

I have always had a very vivid imagination and have always been a very, very avid reader. My favorite books when I was young were always fairy tales, and the games I played usually involved witches, fairies, magic, etc. When my mom gave the first three Harry Potters, I was completely enthralled from the beginning, because they had everything I ever wanted in a book. I devoured them. Then, every two years before the new one would come out, I would re-read all the previous books, to make sure I was all caught up.

And now its over. If you've read the seventh book, you know that the wonderful J.K. Rowling ended it in such a way that there will definitely be no more books. But the ending was incredible. And perfect. Sigh.

And now there are no more movies to supplement the end of the books. I really am sad. The Harry Potter books are definitely a defining piece of pop culture for my generation, to the point were I honestly think they helped shape the devoted fans (like myself) who read each and every one with all the excitement I did. Because they are about so much more than just wizards and magic. I wonder if any books from the past inspired this kind of frenzy and if any will in the future, but I'm so glad I got to experience them from the beginning.

I really do have so much else to say about the end, but I'll stop now, because I know that some people find Harry Potter silly or just children's literature, but please admit, they have been a big part of life for the last decade, right?

I leave you with the preview for part two, I hope you're as excited (and a little sad) as I am.

P.S. I'll have a book review of One Day up in the next few days too!

No comments:

Post a Comment