Monday, June 4, 2012

News

image via
I have some news that I am pretty excited about...the picture is a hint...

I've been working at my current job, a book publicist and designer, for about almost a year now. I made a one year minimum commitment, so I've been waiting to start looking for a new job. But as August gets closer (also, how is it June already? Yeesh), I've been looking on Craigslist and polishing up my resume, applying to a few jobs that seemed interesting.

Here was the problem. I do not want to work in an office. The thing is, I don't hate my job. It's not terrible and it's paying the bills. But I am not happy. And oddly, I don't even hate office work. But the idea of doing this for years makes me want to throw up. And since most of the jobs out there that I am qualified for are office assistant/admin/receptionist stuff, I knew that it wasn't going to work.

Grad school is pretty much out of the question for me. A part of me wants a PhD. in art history, but I don't have 3-5 years to do it, don't want to rack up (at least) $50k in debt, and job prospects in the field are slim. I am always going to love art, history, and literature, but it will be something I will do/pursue/whatever in my spare time and for fun. I think if I actually went to grad school I would start to hate it and I really don't want that.

So what am I going to do? I've been sort of afraid to tell people my plan because I feel like it's something no one has expected me to do or looks down on or thinks I can't do, but I'm doing it anyway.

I'm applying to the Aveda Institute in San Francisco. I have always loved doing hair, nails, and makeup, so why not make a career out of it? I know it's going to be hard work, but I'm willing to do it because it is something I enjoy. I had a tour of the school on Friday and met with an admissions coordinator, and it was just wonderful. I can't even put into words how happy I was.

That's the news people! I've put in notice that I will be done with work September 1st and starting Aveda (hopefully) September 25th. I'm really excited (and nervous!) for what's going to happen next!

3 comments:

  1. Exciting!! Congrats and best of luck on your new career path! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is awesome! follow your dreams ! :)

    ReplyDelete